Sunday, February 17, 2013

Daily Chore List

Photo credit: http://www.yobeat.com/2011/12/03/intern-facts/

So I have been preparing for a talk I am doing in April for a local moms group on Homemaking.  As I was working on my talk this afternoon I realized how much of the knowledge I have learned about managing my own home stays in my head a lot and I apply it to our lives, but I have failed to share it with you, and what is Full Heart Full Home all about?  Titus 2!! To help and encourage other women in their own lives!  So I wanted to share something with you today that has helped me tremendously in my home!

Shortly after Abbie was born I was feeling somewhat overwhelmed with balancing being a mom, a nursing child, managing a home, and working part time.  I could no longer clean my home all at one time like I used to.  I had to do something to continue to take care of home but at the same time lower my expectations a bit since our lives would be different with a baby and the house probably wouldn't be as clean as it was before because of having a child in the house.  I had to learn to clean in increments and I saw this somewhere on pinterest and thought it was genius!  

What is it you ask?  Assign one larger cleaning task to each day of the week.  Every family will look differently and for our family I wanted to keep most of my cleaning during the week so my weekends were free to do family and friend activities.  I picked the tasks that mattered most to me and assigned them to one day per week, Monday through Friday.  Your tasks might look differently than mine, but here is ours:


Daily Chore List Assignments:

Monday-  Floors (vacuum and mop, sweep, etc)
Tuesday- Declutter surfaces (we do this a little each day but I chose declutter on Tuesdays for preparation of....
Wednesday- Dusting (this is the task that gets ignored most often- if I skip something in the week due to busyness it's this!)
Thursday-  Bathrooms
Friday/Weekend- Paperwork (pay bills, menu plan, etc)

Now of course on a daily basis there is always laundry, dishes, etc to keep up on, but once I started breaking down my larger chores likes this, I actually was able to still get my main cleaning done every week so it didn't get to a point where it was unbearable, and if I really focused on these tasks I could get them done in about 15-20 minutes a day.  Granted I have a small home but I still think if you developed a system most homes could be done in less than 30 minutes.  

Believe me life happens.  We get busy too and sometimes things don't get done when I want them to.  You let it go and move on and catch up the next week.  

We only have one bathroom so on Thursday nights when I give Abbie a bath I am able to clean the sink, toilet, and mirror while she is playing in the tub.  After she goes to bed all I have left to do is the tub!  Super easy time saver!

I hope this is a helpful tip that for those of you who feel overwhelmed, will be a great first step in still keeping your house reasonably clean, and not feeling like its too daunting of a list to manage!

Let me know if you have any specific questions in helping bring order to the chaos in your home and please share your own tips with me!  I'd love to hear!

Blessings,


1 comment:

  1. Good job! I've tried to do this a bunch of times, but can never stick to it longer than a week. :)

    ReplyDelete