Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm a Banana!

So we all know I've struggled with body image...old news I know! My new found momness(aka 9 months ago, plus being pregnant for what seemed like eternity) has left me embracing my body more, appreciating it for what God made it capable of, and overall just trying to find a healthier self image. Well my friend sent me a link to a blog today that in turn had a link to this:
I can't believe how awesome it is! I wouldn't go there with your hubby or boyfriend around, because it does have pictures of women in bikinis...not really a big deal, but just giving you a forewarning. What it is, is a place where you can type your own height and weight in and see pictures of other women who are those same heights and weights but they have a variety of body types! When I typed in my own information, I was amazed at how thin some of the women looked....and realized some of the weights in my head that are what I think my "ideal" weight should be (as I typed in fake measurements for myself) would actually leave me looking anorexic and very unhealthy. Each picture had a small tiny cartoonish picture of an apple, pear, banana, or hourglass by it......a banana? Obviously these were about body types, but I'd never heard of the banana. Until I took the "quiz" about what body type you are.....I'm a fricking banana!

I know I know! I am 28 years old and the rest of you are saying....how did you not know your body type yet? Well, I don't really know any bananas. Every one I know complains of big butts, big thighs, big boobs....I always have all the opposite problems....my jeans won't stay on my butt, my boobs don't fill out shirts. For some reason I feel like I just had an epiphany! My friends used to tease me about getting some butt pads to enhance my nonexistent booty. You think I am joking? Ha! No they exist..they really do! Take a gander at these lovely ladies:


Photo courtesy of jcpenney.com



Now doesn't that look so much better! Haha!! Oh hilarity....
It's just funny to me how much we want to change about ourselves. It's ridiculous how we define who we are...what our value is in. What our worth is...

I'm Bridget.
I'm 5'10"
I weigh 158#
My BMI is 22.8
I'm trying to lose 5-8 more #s...not cause "they" say I need to, but because I want to.
I workout 5 days a week.
I have freckles.
I have curly sometimes frizzy hair.
My hair is its natural color- medium brown with a hint of red (and a few stray gray hairs :)
I like wool socks.
I like wearing pajamas all day.
I like wearing makeup.
I like boots.
I like cute comfy clothes and cardigans.
I like running.
I like photography.
I like frugal DIY things.
I loved living on a farm growing up.
I love being a mommy.
I want to stay at home full time.
I love Jesus.
I (along with my hubby) am contemplating home schooling.
I love breastfeeding (once I got past my initial hatred for it :)- (but my value isn't in that)
I enjoyed laboring naturally (nor is my value in this!)
I like coffee dates
I just plain like coffee
I like working out
I like zumba and plyometrics
I enjoy cooking and baking
I am starting to enjoy couponing.
I like managing our home.
I love being married.
I love encouraging other women.
I make meal plans for 2 weeks at a time.
I go grocery shopping every other week.
I work part time.
I went to college to be a veterinary technician (aka veterinary nurse).
I like jeans from the Buckle.
I love my daughters smile when I walk in a room.
I strongly dislike my breast pump, but I love that it enables me to still feed my daugher even when I am gone.
I love living in a ranch style home- first floor laundry = awesome!
I love using cloth diapers.
I like reading.
I love making nutritious and delicious meals for my family- its a challenge and a joy!
I like getting the mail...my hubby and I sometimes race to get it when it arrives :)
I love having a fireplace.
I have a love/hate relationship with owning a home.
I want a minivan...gasp!
I like giraffes and holstein cows...a lot!
When I was little I used to pretend my bike was a horse named "Maple"...she was really fast :)

You know what's cooler than all of that....
That Genesis 1:27 says:
"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

And Psalm 45:11 says:
"Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord."

He didn't ask me to do anything to "earn" his love, or "earn" his favor....he just wants me to be. That's it. Be who he created me to be and he loves me for forever whether I "do" or "do not do." I am His. I don't have to do anything for him to love me. He offers himself. That's it. Period. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of my above list says....He created me perfect in His own image.

May you each also find joy in your hearts desires. Knowing that God instilled them within you. That he calls you to be just that...You!

Blessings!

Bridget





1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post Bridget - and I think I'm going to have to check out that gallery!

    ReplyDelete