Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Blessing of Motherhood

Photo Credit: http://content.levoleague.com/lifestyle/a-mother-daughter-journey/

The days seem so long sometimes.  Mundane.  A chore list that seems to start again the moment it's finished.

An interruption.

        Crocodile tears.

                  Spilled milk.

                       An ear piercing cry.

                               A bruised elbow from too quickly pattering feet.

                                       An attempt to exercise.....a moment for myself.


A few minutes with my Savior that are so needed but most often are cut short to more interruptions.  

More tears.

        Books to read.

                 Tea parties to attend.

                                 Dolls to feed.

                                         Baths to give.

                                                 Meals to prepare.

                                                             Dishes to wash.

                                                                           Laundry.

                                                                                  Laundry.

                                                                                        More Laundry.

Often times I've found myself longing for the days of nothingness.

Only myself to take care of.

 Or just a husband and not something that needs so many moments of my day to take care of not only for myself but for her tiny body too.

Never in my wildest dreams did I realize how much God would use being a mother to completely rid me of my selfishness.

 Never did I realize the life of sacrifice of which motherhood is, but I'm learning.

 Learning that I like this life of rare moments of free time.

Learning that I like myself better as I learn to sacrifice more.

Love more.  Love deeper.   Love more fully.  Live fuller.

Learning that my Savior is not disappointed in me for the 5 minutes of time I spent with  Him at the breakfast table this morning before that was interrupted by empty bowls and sticky hands.

Learning that He meets me right where I am if I will just let Him.

No, He is not disappointed in me.

 He is honored.  Honored to know that the 5 minutes of free time I had in that one single moment, I chose to spend with Him.  

And I realize something in that tiny moment.   That this life of rare me moments...He has called me to it. 

This life of deepest sacrifice is the one He has chosen for me.

That I might realize how much I love those sticky hands I am blessed to wash everyday, those cheeks I get to kiss, those crocodile tears I get to dry....He hand picked that girl to be mine.  

That I would be so blessed to be called her mom.





May your heart overflow with blessing at even the tiniest pieces of the life He has called you to friend!

Blessings!

Bridget

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you. A few weeks ago, someone asked me, "Why do you like being a mom?" The question stumped me, because too often I complain about it. Many of my answers are similar to yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I like your name too... it's my daughter's name and we don't meet many Bridgets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie and welcome! You know...I don't really know any Bridget's who spell their name the same was as I do either! Except a dog...and that makes me a little sad :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic thoughts on mother hood! It definitely is a blessing, but it's a totally different life than without kids, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! It sure is different! I totally sometimes envy the people who got married and had kids right away cause they never knew the difference, but I am sure the grass is always greener and they have things they wish were different also!

      Delete