Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Fashion Post

In an effort to be more frugal and a better steward with our money, I haven't really gone fall shopping like I normally do by this time of year.  We've been using the envelope system in our house, doing away with credit cards, and rarely using the debit card.  It's actually really amazing how much money we were spending outside of our means just by using plastic more than cash.  I'm really starting to enjoy thinking before spending, though the toddler streak in me just wants to scream to get my way, it's freeing.  It's rewarding, and more importantly, God's changing my heart to be more patient and take care of the possessions He has given me.  So I thought it would be fun to do a fashion post once in awhile.  I'm one of those people who typically looks at everyone else and thinks they are super cute and have poor self esteem and poor body image but you know what....I am cute.  It doesn't take a million dollars to be fashionable, and I am not trying to be vain in saying this ladies.  Each of you really is beautiful!  As a person who struggled with an eating disorder (maybe more on that another day) I am constantly reading the word of God in order to help remind myself of His truth and how beautiful He thinks I really am.  How beautiful we all are!  As christian women I don't think we need to make ourselves intentionally unattractive.  

I Timothy 2:9-10 says "I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds appropriate for women who profess to worship God."

You know what that means ladies?  Don't wear shirts that are cut too low that cause our brothers in Christ to struggle, don't wear a skirt that pretty much already is up to your butt crack, and don't spend 3 hours in front of the mirror every single day obsessing over your outward appearance.  Notice the verse says "with decency and propriety?"  Propriety means suitable and appropriate.  The verse doesn't say wear a burlap body bag covering you your entire life so no one can see you....it says to be decent and appropriate.  If you are going to a business meeting than wear business attire.  Wear the cute skirt of appropriate length.  Wear the cute cami under a blazer as long as you chest isn't hanging out.  It's ok!  Just be appropriate and decent and you can still look cute!  The end of the verses really drives home how important it is to focus more on the internal changes of our hearts instead of the outward changes to our appearance.  It's all about balance ladies.  Take time to get ready but know when it's time to say when.  When does it cut too much into your time with your husband, your kids, your other God given responsibilities ..then you are spending too much time primping :)  

So here it is my first outfit post (5 years ago I never thought I would ever ever EVER post about a cute outfit but never say never!)

Mid thigh length cardi- Kohl's
Necklace- Rue 21 
Brown bead bracelets- Icing Claire's
Striped Tee- Old Navy
Brown stretchy belt- Vanity
Pocket Skirt- Banana Republic
Tights- Macy's
Brown Boots- Gordman's

Most everything I have owned for 2-3 years with the exception of the striped tee (Old Navy this past summer for $5, and the Skirt (Banana Republic for $8 on clearance...wahoo!!)  In the summer I wore this outfit minus tights and cardi with gray or brown flats or sandals.

Not bad eh?  All of it was in my closet and instantly converted to fall/winter attire.  

What's in your closet that you are converting from your summer outfits into your winter wardrobe?


2 comments:

  1. Cute outfit, I love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work!!! The confidence on your face finishes the outfit ;)

    ReplyDelete