Saturday, May 18, 2013

Patience



These last few weeks of having our house on the market have really been testing me.

When we bought our home we had all the power in the decision making process.  We could choose to buy or not buy.  We could choose to buy a fixer upper or a move in ready home.  We could buy  more expensive or less expensive.  The choice was ours (with God's guidance of course) but everything was entirely left into our hands to decide.  Enter...selling a house.  Where I had no idea that every single ounce of power and control that I so desire to cling so tightly to was immediately ripped from my grasp.

I cannot control any of this.  An offer on our house depends entirely on someone else deciding they want to buy our house.  It's emotional.  We have had lots of showings in the 2 1/2 weeks its been on the market, and I know...you veteran house sellers are laughing at me....I can hear it now "Chill out girl!  2 1/2 weeks?  That's it!  Try 2 1/2 years!"  I know I know....it's ridiculous, but I'm a newbie.  I didn't realize how much selling a house would stretch me.  Teach me.  Grow me.

The first week I started out with my crazy workaholic mentality that wouldn't let me stop cleaning and prepping until our house was ready to go on the market.  The first week also brought insane amounts of control on my part as to what our house needed to look like when we went to bed, before we left in the morning, how we would prepare meals in case someone wanted to look at our home during supper time etc.   Between weeks 1 and 2 I wondered why our house hadn't sold yet.  Keep in mind that when we bought our house we had been looking for 2 years!  We knew what was in the market in our price range and it wasn't much.  So when we saw our house and it's potential we looked at it twice in one day, made an offer, and an offer was accepted.  I think we bought it after it had been on the market for like 3 or 4 days.  Our neighbor was the same way- he bought his house at the same time we did and bought it off the market on like day 1 or 2.  So imagine my expectation...surely our house would sell quickly!

Week 2 I started to chill out a bit, and this week we had a second showing and emailed back and forth between that Realtor and ours some answers to the potential buyers questions.  They asked a lot of questions.  So I know they are interested but there was a week between the first showing and the second showing...so maybe their will be a week before they make an offer?  (One can only hope! :)

It's hard.  It's emotional.  You want so badly to not be biased to what people say or think about your home, but you are.  It's the place you've made your home.  It's our first home as a family.  I brought my first baby home here.  So you do have emotional attachment.  It's familiar.  It's comfortable.  It's safe.  It doesn't require change when we are still here, but out there....out there requires much change. New things.  Scary things.

And for now God keeps gently reminding me that this is all out of my control.  That I have to trust Him and let Him teach me...to be patient.




Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment