Friday, May 20, 2011

Making Your Own Yogurt

So I am really intrigued to try making me own yogurt. I had a friend who did it using a pot on a heating pad....kinda seemed like too much work to me, however I just found a recipe for making yogurt using your crock pot and really...its super easy! Yogurt in the little containers is so expensive. I have been buying the larger containers of it and just adding fresh fruit and granola, however, I must say all the sugar and additives that is in yogurt kinda bothers me. Now by no means am I an all natural never eat crap sort of person (i.e. see pregnancy weight gain giving into cravings sometimes in one of my last few posts), but I do like to eat relatively healthy. It just makes me wonder what yogurt really actually tastes like by itself...just yogurt with fresh, no sugar added fruit as its flavoring. So...I think I might try it next week. I still have some yogurt from the store to use up, but after that...I might just have to give it a go. Check out this link to make your own....

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. I am super curious how this turns out for you. I like yogurt but I go through spurts of wanting it and you're right, those little containers are expensive! Let me know how it works for you and maybe I'll give it a shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I tried it, and it did work well. I ended up adding one packet of gelatin at the same time I added the starter yogurt to the batch. This helped thicken it some. It still wasn't as thick as I like but it was doable. Because it wasn't as thick as I like it to be I was going to strain it in coffee filters when I was done. Well this is a lot of yogurt...I needed a coffee filter from like an economy size coffee maker. In all, I don't think I will do it on a regular basis. It's fun to do sometimes, but it was still more time consuming then I thought it would be. Some of the yogurt gelled to the side of the crock pot so then there were chunks in the yogurt when I scrapped it out. It wasn't very sweet at all which I expected, more so tart, but I wanted it to be a little sweet, just not over sugary like the store stuff. So we used the zest of an orange to help with that. It did help a bit, I still wanted to add a little something to take away some of its tartness. I could eat a few spoonfuls like this but not a bowl of it. I thought it was more a fun experiment then a practical household chore. It only last 7-10 days meaning I would have to do it every week...not worth it in my opinion, but I do encourage you to try it. It was kind of neat to see it, and I would totally do it with my kids when they are older as a science experiment you can eat type of thing!

    ReplyDelete