Monday, November 21, 2011

Teething Cookies

So I kind of have this thing....I am against a lot of different baby marketing spiels and thus have set out to find ways to basically do a lot of things myself. I make my own baby food, cloth diaper, make my own diaper rash cream remedies, etc. Some of them have worked some of them haven't, but I must say its been fun, and I enjoy doing it. Mostly because I am trying to save money and it is definitely nice to know exactly what is going into my daughters food.

For awhile I was on a kick of giving my daughter her purees only and froze a bunch of those and it was fun...for a short while, but it got old really fast. I could tell she was getting bored, and I mistakenly thought she had to have teeth in order to give her bits and pieces of food right? Wrong! I still use some purees (hardly any anymore) and she still doesn't have any teeth (which is fine with this nursing mama!) but we've started giving her pretty much whatever we eat. Thanks to my friend Erin who introduced me to Baby Led Weaning we are actually all enjoying eating meals as a family, and my daughter is loving experiencing all different kinds of foods. I actually enjoy watching her eat now. Of course we aren't hardcore, and we are still her parents so we pick and choose how we want to use this method but it has been great thus far.

I'll share some more about Baby Led Weaning another time, but for now I wanted to share with you one of my latest concoctions....Teething Cookies. I wanted to give Abbie something to gnaw on, to occupy her, a snack if you will....and so I started looking for something that wouldn't crumble in large chunks that she could choke on, and thus found these. I was a little skeptical before making them, but couldn't have been happier with the results. I hope you enjoy! (I know they have eggs and sugar in them so if you are against that...don't make them!)


Teething Cookies

2 eggs
1 cup of sugar
2- 2 1/2cups flour


Break eggs into bowl and stir until creamy. Add sugar and continue to stir. Gradually add enough flour to make a stiff dough. Roll out between two sheets of lightly floured wax paper to about ¼ inch thickness.
Cut into shapes. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Let it stand overnight (10-12 hours). Bake at 325 degrees until browned and hard, approximately 15 minutes. This will make about 12 durable and almost crumb free teething biscuits.



A few notes post baking this recipe....
  • The dough seemed too dry to me so I added more water, but then I ended up having to bake them a lot longer so don’t be afraid to get your hands in their to really work the dough together and bring it into one solid dough mass- I think it would have worked out fine had I just left it alone and was patient with the dough.
  • Use cute cookie cutters if you want to to make it more fun. I used hearts :)
  • The dough reminds me of a sugar cookie dough so it does seem more crumbly when rolling it out.
  • Don’t be afraid to cut these into smaller shapes. Mine are pretty big when you think about the size of the 8 month old who is actually eating them!
  • These should keep at room temperature for a week, but you can freeze the rest of them. Once you take them out of the freezer they should be good for 3 days.
Oh and PS....Abbie absolutely loves them!!




No comments:

Post a Comment