Monday, July 30, 2012

Thank you God for Trials




A few days ago I was reading in Philippians and my eyes stopped on the words in Philippians 1:12 " I want you to know brothers that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel" and in verse 14 "most of my brothers having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment are much more bold to speak the word without fear."

A little context for the verses (according to Matthew Henry's bible commentary), Paul was now a prisoner in Rome, and He didn't want his current sufferings to be a discouragement to those who had come to know the gospel through his ministry.

As I allowed myself to mull over these words, my heart softened and I found myself writing a list of all the things I have found to be "sufferings" in my life.  The list got longer and longer, and I realized no matter how hard that circumstance was at the time, and how much healing had to be done after, that this new mindset of looking at my trials as a joy because they helped to advance the gospel was healing in and of itself.  Yes, these were hard times in my life, but they've grown me.  I do my best now to use their story for God's glory, to focus on His sovereignty.

How about you?  What trials have you come through?  What trials do you feel you are still in?  Take sometime to write your own list of trials and allow God to heal you through his words and bring you new joy that as we daily submit ourselves to Him, regardless of what roads He takes us down, He is still sovereign, and that if the tasks He asks of us help to advance the gospel than it is worth it.  The tears and heartache still make it worth it.  He has big plans for you as you find new confidence and hope even in the hardest of times!

Jeremiah 29:11
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

No comments:

Post a Comment