Friday, November 30, 2012

Family Traditions at Christmas Time

Last year I turned into one of those crazy people who decorates their tree before Thanksgiving and I must say I loved it!  I like to spend Thanksgiving weekend with family relaxing and hanging out and I used to do my decorating Thanksgiving weekend.  So when I decorated before Thanksgiving last year I quickly realized how nice it was to truly relax during the holiday.  So this year I did the same, and I must say I probably won't go back.  I'm not crazy, I'm just practical :) 

I have found that having a child in the house really does make the Christmas season so much more exciting.  For a long time I think I was in a funk with Christmas.  It stressed me out and quite honestly I really didn't like it much (the craziness of the holiday itself, not the reason for it!)  So this year during our decorating we set out to find some of our own traditions.  We turned on some old 1950's style Christmas cartoons from Netflix.  Dave and I drank wine and I made Abbie a "special drink."  I haven't had hot chocolate in the house in ages so I warmed up some milk with some french vanilla creamer and used a candy cane as a stir stick.  I was all proud of myself for my creativeness....Abbie tasted it and proceeded to spit it out.  I completely forgot how much the girl hates drinking anything sweet.  Give her cakes, cookies, brownies and she will just keep asking for more, but sweet drinks....flat out refuses any of them.  Oh well it was the thought that counted and she thought the candy cane used for stirring was pretty awesome.  

Dave made us a fire to enjoy while we watched cartoons and sipped our drinks.  We took turns putting up decorations and ornaments on the tree and then I believe I took over because Abbie started throwing my childhood ornaments on the floor and breaking them :) 


A little while later we put together our Operation Christmas Child boxes.  You may remember my post on Acts of Service where I mentioned Operation Christmas Child.  It's a really amazing program.  You select an age group for a boy or girl and purchase things for them.  Your box can include toiletries candy, toys, socks, etc.  We had fun shopping for ours.  Although we chose to purchase for a girl Abbie's age so I had a hard time explaining to her that these toys weren't for her but to give to someone else who didn't get all the special things she does.  I'm sure she'll understand someday.  We were still able to keep a strict budget on our giving for this because we found pretty much everything we needed at the Dollar Store:  dress up stuff, teddy bear, doll, crayons, candy, toiletries  play-dough and I can't remember what else we put in there but I do know it was overflowing and I almost had to sit on it to keep it shut :) 

So in short, though our family is still new and just in the beginning stages of starting traditions, here are the ones we've started so far/or are in the process of beginning.

Christmas Traditions

  1. Decorate the tree/house the weekend before Thanksgiving- watch classic Christmas movies (eventually may have to be a family vote) while decorating with a fire in the fireplace, hot chocolate, special snacks someday maybe?
  2. Make a special Christmas breakfast together every year on Christmas morning (since Dave is a chef he loves to make pastries and all kinds of delicious goodies.  We both love the idea of prepping our Christmas breakfast together as a family the night before and then have a special treat to eat together on Christmas morning.
  3. Operation Christmas child or donating/buying presents to another needy cause.  
  4. Christmas concert- we went to one last year and it was a lot of fun.  Abbie had a good time and she did really well even as an 8 month old. 
  5. Drive around at look at Christmas lights while drinking hot chocolate/coffee and listening to Christmas carols.  Growing up our town had luminaries all over on a certain night before Christmas so you drive around and see all the pretty lights.  A town near ours does a Christmas Lights Festival.  We didn't go last year but I would like to do something cause Abbie loves the Christmas lights so much!
  6. Acts of Service Manger- I'll post a DIY post on how to make one in the future but the basic idea is when someone in your home does something nice for another person without asking they get to put a piece of "straw" in the manger to help make a bed for when baby Jesus comes.  Then on Christmas morning our manger will be there and baby Jesus will finally be in it.


And here is one I enjoyed as a child but I am not sure if/how we will incorporate them:

  1. Christmas Eve church service (with small children it's past their bedtime so I am not sure how to make this happen.

Random side note....can I just tell you how adorable it is to see Abbie with the Christmas decorations?  She learned really quickly that things break easily and we have to be very careful and not touch any unless we ask mommy.  She is obsessed with one ornament on our tree (mostly because I made it really funny for her)....and that is a wooden gingerbread man that my sister made me when she was in college.  I taught Abbie the "Run run as fast as you can.  You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man" song and she loves it.  She will start dancing all over near the tree and start running around the house.  We at least have to do this several times a day :)


Do you have any favorite Christmas traditions in your home?  Also I'm interested....how does your family balance the Santa present giving mania with a more faith based Christmas focus while still giving gifts?  I'm not sure how I want to handle this as Abbie gets older but I do want to respect other parents choices for how they handle Santa and the Christmas Story in their own homes.  Thoughts?

Blessings,








2 comments:

  1. You guys are cute, Bridget! Our biggest tradition is getting our tree on December 1st, decorating while sipping egg nog, and listening to music of course. It's such a beautiful time of year...enjoy it! ~ Blessings out, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it Amy! I always feel so blessed after I talk with you or get an email from you....your children and your hubby are so blessed! Thanks for your friendship girl!

      Delete